Nước Màu, or caramel sauce is added for color in a lot of Vietnamese recipes, and it’s easy to lớn make! All you need is sugar and water.
This recipe makes enough for my thịt kho recipe, but you can easily triple or quadruple this recipe to lớn store in the fridge. It’s currently tailored to lớn be more liquidy for Thịt Kho.
Bạn đang xem: màu caramel
If you want the dish you’re making to lớn be more concentrated and less liquid, simply halve the amount of water in this recipe.
- 4 tablespoons sugar (enough for my thit kho recipe)
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- silicone spatula (I lượt thích that it’s non stick, but you can use anything, really. Just don’t scratch up your pan.)
How to lớn make the caramel sauce
1. Add sugar to lớn the pan on 50% heat. 50% is low enough to lớn control the process, but we will jump to lớn the caramel stage of sugar quickly, ví don’t take your eyes off the pan.
2. Constantly stir the sugar ví it heats evenly. It will begin to lớn clump.
3. Not dark enough yet! It will start to lớn take the color of caramel, but we want it a bit darker. For Thịt Heo Kho (Vietnamese Braised Pork with Egg), we are adding this to lớn a pot of about 1-2 quarts of water ví the color will be diluted.
If you are using an electric stove lượt thích mạ, you can lift the pan off the heat to lớn slow down the cooking process and continue to lớn stir until it reaches the desired darkness. Otherwise, just turn your heat down towards the over.
Xem thêm: line up là gì
4. When it gets darker than vãn caramel and just starts to lớn smoke, you know it’s close to lớn being done. Add the warm water to lớn the sugar to lớn halt the cooking process and stir until the sugar dissolves.
5. If you’re cooking a recipe you can add the caramel sauce to lớn it right away, but if you want to lớn make extra and reserve in the fridge, let it cool before transferring.
How the caramel sauce looks after fully dissolved and cooled down.
Xem thêm: firms là gì
What is caramel cooking sauce?
Caramel cooking sauce is a rich and thick sauce that you can add to lớn dishes, lượt thích thịt kho, as base and adds a nice brown coloring to lớn stewed dishes.
Why is my caramel sauce bitter?
After adding your sugar over a heated pan, carefully watch over and occasionally stir your sauce. When you overcook the sugar, it can burn and give you a bitter caramel sauce.
What should caramel look like?
You should cook the sugar down to lớn a darker caramel color. When it starts to lớn smoke a bit, you can add the warm water and stir. It should be a dark copper color.[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”zLPmrQFc” upload-date=”2020-06-01T00:00:00.000Z” name=”Vietnamese Caramel Sauce Recipe (Nước Màu)” description=”How to lớn cook down sugar in a pan to lớn make a darker caramel sauce / color to lớn darken and sweeten your recipes. This nuoc mau is easy to lớn scale up and save for future uses also.” player-type=”default” override-embed=”default”]
Vietnamese Caramel Sauce (Nước Màu)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 c filtered warm water (or half for a thicker sauce)
- silicone spatula – OXO
- This recipe is tailored to lớn cook one batch of my Thịt Kho Recipe, and results in a more watery sauce. If you want a thicker sauce, halve the amount of water. If you want to lớn store a larger amount of this in the fridge also, halve the water and you can easily triple or quadruple this recipe.
- On medium heat, add sugar to lớn your pan. Carefully watch over your pan and stir the sugar evenly to lớn prevent your sugar from burning. The sugar will start to lớn melt and continue cooking as it reaches a caramel color. This process can take up to lớn 8-10 minutes depending on how high hot your stove is. The hotter it is, the faster you have to lớn stir to lớn keep it even.
- When the sugar becomes very dark brown and begins to lớn smoke, you know it's almost done. Keep stirring constantly, until it gets darker maybe 20-40 seconds. Then shut off the heat or remove off the heat immediately and add the warm water to lớn stop the cooking process. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add this sauce to lớn your Thịt Kho or other recipe or let it fully cool, pour into a jar and store in the fridge.